SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI budget
Thread: BVI budget
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

joet13 is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI budget

We just returned from our trip!!! Awesome time. But Sandy sent some huge swells to the BVI's out of the Northwest! The flags at the Baths were Red, so not only no swimming, but according to the guides, you are not even supposed to use the day mooring balls! A group of older travelers were actually loaded up in their dinghy and headed ashore with huge breakers hitting the rocks, but we talked them out of attemping it. It was really cool to see the Baths in that state, but we went by car. This also got us aquainted with "Hog Heaven", a must-do spot at night, especially if you moor at Leverick Bay and have a moon-lite night. Try to bring a good camera and tripod with you for some beautiful shots of the entire sound and Saba Rock, as you're 1300 ft up on the hill. Back to provisioning, we saw the big new Rite-way store in Roadtown, and they told us that since they supplied all stores as a warehouse, it would be as good or better than the one in Soper's Hole. So off the ladies went to shop....WRONG...After visiting Soper's Hole later in the week, they all agreed that the Soper's hole store was a much better store, with fresher inventory...go figure..maybe they get first pick! Also, as far as Sprat's Bay is concerned, I had never been there, and with the huge swells at the beginning of our trip and some newbies on board, I decided to stay there the first night since it is so well protected. One thing for sure, after staying there one night, everything seems cheap after that! Mooring balls $65, WATER $1.00 p/gal, and food at Deadmans Beach Bar and Grill simply outrageous and terrible....Try a SMALL bowl of Gumbo for $44.00...that tasted and looked somewhat like etouffee...course I'm from the gulf coast, so shouldn't have tried that anyhow. On the good side, Sprat bay was very quiet, did some neat snorkeling and could see the birds and huge tarpon going after the millions of bait fish...To top it off, for you old folks like me, the small stone structure out over the water on the southwest shore is actually an old timey outhouse!!!! It had separate women and men sections!!!

Remember, the best deal on mooring is still at Saba Rock, I think $30 for balls, but 1 bag of ice and 250 GALLONS of water free. That alone pays for the mooring. And spending a little romatic time on the beach on the other side of the rock (in a hammock) is incredible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook