SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Just like you don't have to tell your head or eyes to move to see something I do not have to tell my hand on a mouse to pan or zoom. It just does it like your head and eyes do.

That's what I am talking about.

When one is so good at a skill it becomes automatic. My skill is in computers, not paper.
Well, I'm guessing maybe, just maybe, the captain of RULE 62 might not be quite as facile with a computer mouse or chartplotter cursor as you are...

Otherwise, he might have noticed the myriad of other options that would have been plain to see, on a chart of the Northeast Providence Channel & Approaches spread out before him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
the future is technology that's intuitive, fast and accurate.
Not to mention, immune to something like, say, a lightning strike... (grin)

We'll just have to agree to disagree, is all... Look, I'm a big fan of electronic charting, I use it all the time... There is no better means of taking you from Point A to Point B, when you're certain Point B is definitely where you want to go... I'm simply arguing that it has certain limitations, is all... And, I imagine what happened with RULE 62 fits the scenario perfectly of what might have happened due to not having a large scale paper backup aboard...

Just my own gut instinct, nothing more... I could be wrong, of course - too bad we'll likely never know...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-14-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook