SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on jib sheeting inside the shrouds
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on jib sheeting inside the shrouds

My boat's shrouds lead to u-bolt type chainplates literally at the rail of the boat. The jib is sheeted to a block on the rail, then led aft to the winch. This arrangement leads to a considerable amount of chafe upwind, both on the lines and on the clew of the working jib, it makes setting up the 50% jib a real PITA and chafes the lines a lot in that case, and I get the feeling that it can't be helping my upwind performance. Oh, and adjusting the car for the conditions is very difficult, involving hanging over the rail and popping the snap shackle that holds the block on the rail.

The solution would be to run a 6' long jib track on the deck, right next to the coach roof, on both sides of the boat. It would bring the clew of the jibs inboard by about 10 inches. I would have two jib sheets per side. I would keep the jib sheets leading to the blocks on the rail for off the wind sailing, but have an additional sheet leading to the jib car which will be on that track for upwind work only. This will eliminate chafe, make sail changes so much easier, and I hope help upwind performance a little (though my shoal draft keel is my biggest limitation in this respect).

Is there any reason this is a bad idea, other than the extra lines in the cockpit?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook