SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on jib sheeting inside the shrouds
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Thoughts on jib sheeting inside the shrouds

Peter,
I've been considering this idea for our Tartan 27' as well; putting an inner fair lead track next to our coach roof.
I don't think there is anything bad about this idea except perhaps slightly more complex sheeting, something else to trip on when going forward and putting holes in the deck. In theory the inner track would provide a tighter sheeting angle for the jib giving you higher pointing ability. That is the theory as I understand it.
On my boat a short track of around 2' in length would probably do the trick, while our outer tracks, mounted on the rail are about 6' long.
I owned a 19' Lightning that was rigged for racing and it had a similar arrangement with the inside the shrouds sheeting advantageous for sailing upwind and the outer (around the shrouds) sheeting for off the wind sailing. This arrangement worked great on the Lightning.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook