SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
My only point is that I believe it is highly likely that his overconfidence in the accuracy of electronic position fixing and charting CONTRIBUTED to his decision to enter that cut...

It is unacceptable that he had tried that at night without being able to have a complete idea of the sea conditions, that is clear. But there is another point that I don't know if it was check out: Doing that at night he was surely relying completely on the plotter and the boat position on the electronic chart. Anybody had checked if the position of the boat on the electronic chart was accurate on that particular place?

There are some places where a considerable difference can be observed and I can tell you that is quite confusing. We are so used to have reliable data from the plotter than when it is obviously wrong there are a split second of fright before we take things on hand again. It happened late September on the entry of Lefkas channel when obviously the position of the boat on the electronic chart was incorrect. I had no problems and the dept was enough, even for mine considerable draft, but there have been an incredibly number of boats aground and I believe it has to do with people following the plotter, no matter what.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook