SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on jib sheeting inside the shrouds
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts on jib sheeting inside the shrouds

I have the same issue. Jib on the toe rail, leaning over the lifeline on the leeward side to adjust. This is the low cost way that I've solved it.

1) A small block 8' from the bow and another right near the cockpit, both shackled to the toe rail.

2) A loop of 3/16" StaSet thru both blocks, tied to the jib sheet block in the middle.

3) Jib sheet block snap shackled around remaining loop.

4) "Line arrestor" over to prevent travel, actually only required on one line.

5) I've included a ROUGH sketch for your viewing pleasure. I'm actually an architectural designer and work in 3D modeling almost exclusively but I had 23.14 seconds to pound this out before the boss came by so . . .deal with it!

I used a clothes line tightener this year, as a proof of concept, just to see how functional it would be. It works SLICK! Loosen the arrestor (from the safety of the cockpit) and pull a line to adjust the block location. Let the arrestor tighten again. DONE! This winter, I have plans to build two blocks from aluminum and nylon with a cam latch for tightening. The jib block will run along the lower StaSet via another small block.

This is essentially a modified Barber hauler. I tried a standard Barber hauler but it didn't give me as much control as I would like.

So, for those who might say "3/16" StaSet?!?!?! Are ya DAFT laddie?" It has a tensile strength around 1900 lbs X 4. I'm not worried. Others might question why I wouldn't just get a track and bolt it on. Well, shallow pockets for one. Another is the size of my boat really insists that I keep the side decks as clear as I can.

Again, it works slicker 'n whale snot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JIB_TRACK.jpg (18.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook