SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

I gotta chime in on this paper chart bizzness. You have to have paper charts on board and be proficaint in their use. Period. Yes we use them still in the wheel house on commercial vessels, even cruise ships. The computer plotters are neat and handy. I think most of them have a disclaimer " not for use as a primary navigation tool" or something. What did Joe say " One lightening strike" You may think your laying out a line and getting all the info, but your not. Paper isn't a throw back or nostalgic, it's how it's done. Newbie after newbie is skipping the essential step of learning how to navigate and using a computer. It's true computers are here to stay and may even take over the world someday, but if you are out there on the ocean navigating, you need to have paper on board. I don't have any doubt the Bounty was marking their position every hour on a chart. He surley knew where he was. It so reminds me of the Pride. This " I go faster when it's wicked windy sh!t" It's that racer sailor crap popping up again, I'm not gonna go there, but lives. Lives are being lost due to ego's making descisions and young fool's having mis guided confidence in the wrong leaders and blindly following them to sea. I wish I wish I was crewing on that damned boat, there would have been another mutiny on the Bounty and two people would be alive today.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 11-14-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook