SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012

eric-the-red is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

[QUOTE=Capt.aaron;948613]It's funny the difference between northern sailors and the tropic birds. Sometimes this thread sounds more like something from stocknet.com not sailnet. QUOTE]

I'll probably get torched for this, but "changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes?" While I appreciate the financial advice and have learned much from that part of the conversation, I also think that at my age, this may or may not be the last phase of my life, and the odds are it won't be. The fact is, most decisions are reversable to some degree, and I certainly don't think this one is.

Life's an adventure and you need to be flexible and open minded to get through most adventures. That's how I've lived and how I'll live on a boat. If it's not working, there are always options to make it work or other paths entirely.

I don't feel I need to have the 100% security of having everything planned out and paid for 30 years in advance. I'd actually argue that's a false sense of security anyway.

This conversation has led me to do the most reality based thinking about this dream to date, and I'm finding a few parts of the dream may need adjusting - I might add another year of working, or I might just go and figure I'll work as I need to or as opportunities present themselves.

DavidPM - I had a long phone call w/ my financial advisor, but we haven't sat down to figure out the exact investments. He's currently managing about 10% of my assets and would end up managing much more. Good thing I trust him.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook