SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne25 View Post
I don't think Towboat would answer your DSC call directly even if they had the GPS and VHF wired correctly.
This is not correct. It is contradicted by BoatUS's own press release (which I linked in my original post):
Quote:
The TowBoatUS 0-338-04000 MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) number is available to boaters hailing from the Gulf Coast at Mobile, AL, Florida and the Atlantic coast up to Sandy Hook, NJ. When this number is “dialed” on a DSC-VHF radio keypad, a boater will automatically be connected to the closest TowBoatUS port or response boat within radio range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...Is your vessel equiped with an onboard GPS which your DSC is connected to?
I have a Garmin 18xLVC GPS receiver that is hardwired directly to my Standard Horizon 2150GX VHF/DSC/AIS receiver. I also have Bluetooth transmitters that broadcast the GPS coordinates and AIS sentences to any laptop, tablet, or cell phone. This allows me to verify that the GPS has a good fix. I posted the details of my setup here a couple years ago, and it was featured in the Summer 2011 issue of Catalina's Mainsheet magazine.

I have made successful DSC calls in 2011, but had not gotten TowBoatUS to respond to any during 2012 when I attempted to hail them on their MMSI #0-338-04000.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook