SailNet Community - View Single Post - More head room
Thread: More head room
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Re: More head room

I exclusively sail on lake Erie in nothing bigger than 3 footers so I dont really need to worry about a wave washing it overboard. The top would stay the same just be raised by 8 to 12 inches (havent decided yet). The old set up raised the top 16 inches on 4-3/8" hollow aluminum rods and I couldnt make out how they would have locked in place. I assume the old pop top wasnt ment to be used underway. As far as how it will look. It will look original to the boat. Last year I got this boat as a project boat and did a complete overhaul on it. Stripped the boat back to just the fiberglass hull. Then replaced all structural components before installing all new interior. It is significantly stronger than the original build. The attachment to the boat and the top shouldnt be a problem as there is a 3" vertical flat surface to attach to on both components. The concerns I have are about the boat getting top heavy and overall performance. Also keep in mind that I dont race. I mostly do day sailing although next summer I plan to do a weekend trip or 2 but still within 5 miles of shore on lake Erie.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook