SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: My Escape Plan - Insights Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Go get the boat and fill it with some food and sail south dude, it's actually that easy.
Ummmmm it is actually that easy.

I have completed a circumnavigation and still cruising for the next, say, ten years.
I think of all then things that tried to stop me, and that still try to stop me... It's amazing that if I had let just one thing stop me I would have been....stopped!
Even now things come up from home, curve balls, family, etc all try to stop me.

The thing about your financials (and I'm not for the USA so I dunno what this 401 thing is, but it must be like superannuation... Pay into it and get some back when you are about to die) the boat level you are looking at of, say $70,000 is quite a low percentage of your overall wealth. In a worst case scenario of sinking your boat after a triple budget year and swimming back home to a normal job again you still have two thirds of your original wealth! That's great!

At 40 years old, aprox, you can top off retirement savings in 20 years time by going back to work for 5 years.

We are from a generation that has acquired a lot of wealth and we are under a lot of pressure to obtain more and more money for no good reason. We can do a lot with a relative little.

The one thing that sets you apart from most other gunnabees in these type of threads is that you are not starting off broke. You have good assets. You won't be using the whole lot, you will just be using a small portion to really enhance your life.

Finally I disagree with Pardys Go Small, Go Now. I believe in Use Brains to Go as BIG as you can, RIGHT NOW!

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-15-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook