SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Cruising Community
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: The Cruising Community

Quote:
I think the same people that don't like each other on SN may very well be good friends on the docks. It is a failure of the internet- Cruisingdad
I agree with this. The internet doesnt allow you to speak to the other person face to face. Even in my business which is highly internet dependent at times, there is no substitute for the importance of face to face interpersonal relationships. I dont let peoples opinions of what I see on Sailnet effect whether I want to meet the poster in person. In fact I have never yet met one person who I have met in person from SN who I didnt enjoy meeting.

When you come north to the Chessie you will find just like you have where you have traveled a very diverse group. Some race, some cruise, some have many years experience, some are just starting. Its one of the reasons We love hosting the Rondevous in June.

My self gratification is seeing many ( usually 50-75) sailors from the Chesapeake interacting and meeting at the same time. With the support of a core group which changes this has remained sucessful and well suppported. I think you see the same "cruisers commradiere" in that group of people. At the very least it is a great networking happening. Many of us raft up during the season opr even see each other in anchorages and give the high sign. Winhwing...I am working on the "Lions of the Chesapeake Flag".

I also have seen this " cruisers commradiere" when we cruise north to LI Sound and NE and have met others on SN who I have just corresponded with on line. They have always been very helpful and supportive as well as nice.

Brian when you come up here you will see a great sailing community on the Chesapeake.
Annapolis is just one of the cities. It is urban and expensive and the state capitol. It is definately a hub for sailing. I hope you get a chance to "gunkhole" some with some of us and see the true beauty of this region up its rivers, creeks and tributaries. Most of us avoid Annapolis during the cruising season and look forward to finding anchorages which are quiet and scenic. The "magic" of the Chesapeake is that there is a new anchorage around every turn in each of its tributaries.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-15-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook