SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on Best Antifoul Paint that Holds Up -- In & Out of Salt Water
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: Advice on Best Antifoul Paint that Holds Up -- In & Out of Salt Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Caution: Unless Practical Sailor does these 'paint test' in similar bio-fouled waters ....

Always, better to walk the immediate local yards and ASK, and then LOOK/Verify to remove the uninformed personal 'bias'.
Don't bother asking a boatyard. They aren't in the business of cleaning boat bottoms and have little idea how well a particular anti fouling paint performs or not (despite their claims to the contrary), since they typically only see the paint when the boat comes out of the water every two or three years. But they are in the business of selling anti fouling paint and will likely tell you to use whatever product they happen to be trying to move at the moment, whether it is really suitable for your needs or not. I see this all the time, and from respected yards.

If you want a reliable recommendation for paint in the region in which your boat lives, call an established hull cleaner in the area. Hull cleaners see anti fouling paints in the water, doing what anti fouling paints do, day in and day out, for the life of the paint. Nobody has a better perspective on the subject.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 11-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook