SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Rick,

I will test this out this weekend when I go down to the boat. Hopefully it is only a localized issue.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. That's a great idea. That BoatUS MMSI number is supposed to work all along the east coast. It's possible that the tow boat in Philly works on a different MMSI number, and by calling the one that BoatUS publicizes I was dialing a "wrong number." I thought about asking the guy on the boat to verify his MMSI number, but he was so insistent that his DSC wouldn't work that he made it clear that he didn't want to be bothered with it.

So I would suggest that you and others who are still on the water on the east coast first try to call MMSI #0-338-04000 for a radio check, and if that doesn't work call the local phone number to ask why it's not working and whether the local boats use a different MMSI number.

At this point I cannot conduct any more testing myself because I am on the hard and, as I understand it, it's a violation of federal law to initiate marine signals from land. Since any DSC call would send out my land-based GPS coordinates, I would be an easy target for a citation. Even if that's not correct, I lowered my mast last weekend so my antenna is down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook