View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: The Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Amen, Brother Gary, Amen!!

So, I went to get my haircut the other day at the barber shop locally. I am sitting there with four other college kids (I am right beside USFSP). They are all tied into their phones - texting or getting on the internet, etc. THey never look at each other. They never talk. I am not sure why the magazines are there, none of them look at them.

Not too long ago, my (much) better half and I went to a mall that was landscaped with trees, flower beds and a couple of fountains/reflecting pools. While sitting in front of a Starbucks having an exorbitantly priced cup of coffee, we watched the passing parade including one young woman, hurrying along, head buried in an i-something or another, 'texting" away like mad with both hands. "Betcha she walks right into the fountain", I said. "Daddy, you're always so negative about kids" responds (much) better half. Not less than 2 seconds later, it became clear she was likely going into the fountain without a radical course change. We called out to her, quite loudly, without a response (even by texters in adjoining tables save one who looked very irritated) and then "BOOM". She hit the little parapet around the fountain and went flying. Rather than put her arms out to protect herself, however, she did a kind of half twist and extended the arm still clutching the i-something. She landed on her back and all but submerged but her extended arm/hand kept the i-something out of the water! We rushed over to help her as she emerged, sputtering and cusing up a storm that turned the air blue. "I'm okay" she declared, "and my phone didn't get wet". I retrieved her purse, which had gone floating off in the mini-tidal wave generated by her landing and with that she went squishing off, texting yet again, leaving little puddles in her wake.

I started to say something but (much) better rudely half cut me of. "Don't say a single word" she hissed.

"What? Me?" "All I was going to suggest was that maybe she might want to try i-sight when walking around, No?"

"Very funny--go finish your coffee!"

And that's the way it is these daze...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook