SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailcare running up the tab?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Sailcare running up the tab?

I sent my 13 year old mainsail to Sailcare for cleaning and re-resining. They had told me over the phone that their base price would be about $100 for my 129 sq ft sail.

I just got the quote back from them, and with all the extras the total is over $350. For example, they want $88 to sew on the numbers and insignia. They're already stuck on very well, but the guy told me that they might start to come off a little when they clean the sail. But it seems that all these extras have tripled the price of the work.

My main question is how many of the extras are generally necessary, in your experience? Does everyone have their numbers and insignias sewn on, or is it OK to just re-glue them if they start to come off in their process? $88 seems like an awful lot of extra cost to add on to a $100 cleaning job.

I do plan to call the guy and talk to him again about the necessity of all this, but thought I'd get a second opinion first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook