SailNet Community - View Single Post - good quality sails?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: good quality sails?

There are many many factors in chosing sails and you must be sure to compare apples to apples. Weight, Reefs, Double vs triple stitiching, actual sailcoloth baterial, battens, UV etc.

My suggestion is to narrow down what you want first and educate yourself using someone who makes the sails without buying

For instance I got a new Main two years ago from Quantum Sails Annapolis. Molst of my sailing is also the CXhessie with a 3+ week cruise to the LI Sound and New England.

We went with a 8.3 oz, dacron high modulus, loose footed, full batten (4). 2 reefs, Cross cut, triple throw stitched mainsail. Specially designed batten pockets also. Came with numbers and C&C Logo

Each one of those factors were specific choices for specificreasons.

We used Tad Hutchings at Quantum Sails. They came to the boat three times. Once to measure and go over the different opitions. Once to fit the sail once it arrived and once to adjust it as a followup 1 month later. The sail was made in South Africa.

The price was cheaper than North and UK, more than Ulman. I personally wouldnt buy over the internet. There have been many issues as well as very satusfied customers. This way you have a person to warrentee and gaurentee the sail.

So first educate yourself with a professional
Second decide what you want
Third get bids on what YOU want from 3 reputable sail makers
Fourth dont discount the customer service aspects as well as the reputation

Fee free to PM me and I will give you Chads number from Quantum Sails Annapolis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook