SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ahh ok. The new chartplotters have wireless and bluetooth and can be used with a IPAD or Droid anywhere on the boat.

Do you have a way of protecting to use in "weather"
I have a TPU membrane over the keyboard that protects from occasional raindrops. Otherwise I take it below into the cabin. My Oregon 400c handheld (which you can see mounted on the pedestal guard) works in works in wet weather.

I don't think iOS or Android apps display AIS targets yet, and I doubt they'll ever do split screen like a Windows or Linux laptop. (marinetraffic.com doesn't pass muster for real-time navigation.) The split screen is great, because I can just focus on sailing without ever touching the computer to zoom in or out.

[Correction: I realize that Android and iOS have some apps that will duplicate the displays of other computers, so it may be possible to use those apps to display AIS targets.]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook