View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Re: Cleaning Hull in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Do you know where to find the 2hr 12v compressor these guys use? I would love to put together a kit, perhaps inside a large toolbox, with battery, compressor and charger.

I'm still very interested in the 110v unit you mentioned early, but they are pretty hard to find.

Would you essentially be comfortable with any oil-less compressor one wanted to use? Or is there some spec minimum you look for (CFM, PSI, etc?)
Almost every commercially available hookah I've ever seen is based on a Thomas compressor (be it gas, electric or battery powered), and frankly, I wouldn't use anything else. You can get away with using any oil-less compressor (as long as it provides adequate airflow and pressure.) I think 3/4 hp/100 psi/2+ cfm would be minimum performance specs for an electric compressor.

Here is a link to the Thomas web site. You can browse the catalog to find the 12-volt compressor that J. Sink is using:

http://www.gd-thomas.com/

The Thomas 1020 is currently only available new through a rather limited network of distributors. You'd need to contact Thomas to find the one closest to you. I've had good response from the SoCal distributor-

Chester Paul Company: The Distributor

I am currently buiding a hookah based on another popular Thomas model, the 1207. This compressor is used not only in many high-end hookahs (I think all the Air Line by J. Sink electric hookahs use it) but it is also used to power many of the Thomas workshop/jobsite compressors, which can be found in abundance on craigslist. So there are many more 1207s out there than 1020s. I bought a clean, working unit on craigslist a couple of months ago for $80 (including shipping) although they typically go for around $350 used (interestingly, Thomas workshop/jobsite compressors using the 1207 can be had used for under $200.) For me, the 1207 will be the compressor of choice going forward.

Edit: I realise now that I previously posted most of this info several pages ago. Apologies.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 11-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook