SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC

Rick, that picture actually scares me. My experience on the Delaware was conditions didn't get as lumpy as I see on the Bay, but I'd be afraid of falling into the laptop in rough conditions or in a lot of confused wakes - which wouldn't feel good for me or the laptop.

And what about spray? We had a night last summer where I had water coming over the dodger and smacking me in the chest at the wheel for over an hour (OK so we didn't pick the *best* day for a trip up to Martell's but it WAS fun ).

That night my little Garmin 441S got drenched, but I was glad I had it coming into the channel at night with thunderstorms all around us. I'll eventually go to a Garmin 740 but I don't think I'd want to go much bigger.

Don't you find the laptop gets in the way moving around the cockpit? I can't imagine it would stand up to that kind of drenching.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 11-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook