SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycruisers View Post
Marine Traffic is an AIS app for Android.
As I said in my prior post, MarineTraffic is not a navigation quality tool. MarineTraffic uses a network of land-based stations manned by hobbyists at their homes. There can be blackout zones when the stations go down, and there can be time delays in their updates. When a vessel is moving 15 knots up the river, a delay of 4 minutes equates to a nautical mile. That's the difference between being able to tack across the channel and encountering a very uncomfortable situation.

I have confirmed this from side-by-side comparison of my real-time AIS reception with the MarineTraffic app on my phone.

MarineTraffic a nice novelty for looking up pictures and port history of boats, but do not use MarineTraffic for real time navigation!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook