SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailcare running up the tab?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailcare running up the tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I sent my 13 year old mainsail to Sailcare for cleaning and re-resining. They had told me over the phone that their base price would be about $100 for my 129 sq ft sail.

I just got the quote back from them, and with all the extras the total is over $350. For example, they want $88 to sew on the numbers and insignia. They're already stuck on very well, but the guy told me that they might start to come off a little when they clean the sail. But it seems that all these extras have tripled the price of the work.

My main question is how many of the extras are generally necessary, in your experience? Does everyone have their numbers and insignias sewn on, or is it OK to just re-glue them if they start to come off in their process? $88 seems like an awful lot of extra cost to add on to a $100 cleaning job.

I do plan to call the guy and talk to him again about the necessity of all this, but thought I'd get a second opinion first.
We had SailCare "recondition" an old main and 135 Genoa for our previous yacht in 2000. The sails looked and performed as new after they were returned. For the sake of comparison, a new main for your C-250 from a discount sailmaker is upwards of $900.00. From a mainline sail maker likely a good bit more. Considering the foregoing, SailCare's pricing isn't too bad. You can, of course, re-glue the numbers if it comes to it so that could be a savings.

Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook