SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailcare running up the tab?
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 11-15-2012
pdqaltair

Re: Sailcare running up the tab?

Kind of like all of the engine cleaning services they sell to add revenue at service stations. A total waste.

* Sails that have been well-stored do not benefit
from cleaning. Period. At most, a light scrubbing on the front lawn and rinse. Lightly bleach a few spots, if really needed. Easy DIY. Most of the work is getting the sail on-and-off the boat anyway.
* Clean sails don't work better.
* Heavily cleaned sails have been beat up in the process. Loosens insignia, hint, hint.
* Resinating a sail doesn't help the shape. I had a friend that sailed one-design that had his sail done; it was actually slower. Yes, it was crisp, but they had locked in a blown out shape and it was that much harder to down-haul the pocket forward. He ordered a new sail a week later, poorer for the expereince.

While it might "feel" like good maintenance, it probably results in no net functional benefit and the money would better go to a new sail. They have their fans, though. Probably people who wax their gel coat twice a year. I guess I'm just not that into "clean." I'm into functional, low cost, and longevity.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome