SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailcare running up the tab?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailcare running up the tab?

I know from talking to a previous owner (prior to the guy I bought it from) that my boat was not used at least 4 years of its life, so the sail does not have a full 13 years of use. I've hand-washed this sail twice before, and know I could make it look perfectly clean by myself. I believe it has a decent amount of life left in it. The draft is in about the right place, for cruising it appears to drive the boat OK. The stitches have no apparent UV degradation, the batten pockets are in great shape (though I prefer not to have them stitched shut ).

I had heard good things about Sailcare, and was interested in their process to re-resin the sail, which is included in the cleaning treatment. I realize that it will not restore the original shape of a new sail, but re-resining it will strengthen it enough to prevent small tears from getting larger. That's what I still plan to do.

I saw what a badly worn sail looks like when I retired my genoa, which had severe UV degradation. The mainsail is nothing like that.

I'm going to have this done, the only question is whether to spring the $88 for stitching the numbers and logos. I talked to the guy about it today, and he says that the cleaning solvents can soften the adhesive and cause the numbers and logo to de-adhere. I told him I'll think about it overnight and will call him tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook