SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...Start with its a nice clean streamlined look and installation. Easy to run power and keep it powered. Less suseptible to damage as not only are they made for marine environement, so are their charging/ power connections.

That doesnt mean there isnt usefullness in the other.
I fully admit that am a special case. On this boat I am a fair weather daysailor, in fresh water. Also I'm a geek, and willing to fiddle with a complicated schematic, special configuration files and .bat files to tweak the software to do exactly what I want it to do (such as open two windows in very specific locations on the screen). This is potentially very different from other Sailnetters.

However, for those with similar skills to mine, my setup does offer some very nice advantages in the split screen, and the ability to turn the screen in different directions. And the software has been rock solid all summer long. I haven't had to reboot the computer once - I just put it to sleep when done, and wake it up next time. As my sailing technique has evolved on this boat, I find myself moving around the cockpit a lot (steering from the side with the wheel between my legs, or from the catbird seat), and could not imagine having my chartplotter on a fixed pod. But that's just on this boat in my current sailing area. I could imagine it being very different on a different boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook