SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boo TowBoatUS! They don't connect their own DSC

Dave, Rick,
I think we're more in agreement than we realize.

I'm envisioning a rugged, daylight viewable bluetooth tablet designed to work in concert with a dedicated chart plotter.

The chartplotter is rugged enough to be at the helm in any conditions and its interface is easy to use while piloting the boat.

A dedicated tablet allows you to plan your trip, enter way points, bring up Active Captain info, look at aerial photos of your approach, etc., all on a much larger screen that's easier to interact with. If it's rugged and daylight viewable it can be used above or below deck. If it's running Android it's expandable with apps.

The ability to recognize and sync with a bluetooth headset and phone would allow you to call ahead to a marina by clicking on it or choosing it from the chart plotter. Tie the VHF in via bluetooth and that same headset or earbud could be used to make hands free VHF calls or calls to an AIS target. Think about the advantage of having your hands free on an emergency VHF call.

Or how about being able to use two bluetooth earpieces through the system so you could talk with someone of the foredeck when anchoring or docking?

I think we're just starting to scratch the surface of this technology.

And Rick I like the idea of being able to rotate the plotter. Mine is on a swivel so I can see it when I'm forward of the wheel.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook