SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Today,we met the folks who own the dock that we are tied to , as we were not introduced initially when the procurement of berthage of our vessel was arranged.
They are none other than the proprieters of "ruke's Seafood deck". Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
We have repaired their dock back to useable condition in the last 2 days and now it is occupied by us, and today another 40' sailboat arrived, that was able to visit the Island.
Due to the downturn in Crabbing and Oyster fishing these folks depend more and more upon visitors. Glad I could help sustain that opportunity a little.
We Have also agreed to photograph the damage their bussiness suffered due to Sandy. So we'll be here for a few days.
As a result of the storm there is plenty of wood for the wood stove.So we keep warm.
Smith Island is a very unique place steeped in history and a serious step into the steady rythym of Island life in the Chesapeake. And as it is the fall- things are settling in quietely, in preporation of the coming winter months.
Accordingly I have been dubbed winter dockmaster at ruke's dock,Smith Is.,MD.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook