SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye21 View Post
Ahoy, all. I just bought a '89 Starrett-Jenks (I think) 45' Ketch. I've read all the info about it being a Morgan mold sold when the IOR was formed. It's current called the Sun Song and some you may have heard of it as it was being sailed away from Hurricane Issac 3 months ago, but ran aground and the skipper was pulled off, however, the sails were left up, and then the tide lifted it off the sand bar, and it commenced to sail around Mobile Bay by itself, thank you very much.

google Captain-of-Ghost-Ship-That-Knock-Out-Island-Power

Hit some electrical lines, knocking out power to Dauphin Island and then coming about to sail out into the bay again, eventually running aground in the northern marshes, then lay over & filled with water. Anything not fastened floated away & it was raised about 7-10 days later. Anyway, it's my 2nd sailboat, a step-up from the 37' O'Day (which is for sale in Annapolis, BTW) and looks like a doable project. Love all the wood inside, but can't find out some info like who may of build the interior or even who the prior owner was, just in case he has some stuff in his garage he wants to sell. So, I'm looking for, really, almost any info on S-J boats, especially the ketches. Whilst I looked all over the Perkins Engine that I could see, I couldn't find a plate with a model number, but I'm thinking I saw somewhere that it's an 84 horse. Anybody who would like pictures of the current state or future states, please send me an email address & I'll send you some. So, back to work to make some restoration cash.
I love these boats. Always have. Put up pics here when you can. Maybe even start a thread on your restoration. I'd be very interested in following your progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook