SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help! Need advise to sail to Catalina Island!!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012

seabrookedan is on a distinguished road
deeper

City of avalon rquires that you anchor out far enuff out that you are 300' from dive park and descsanso moorings when u swing towards shore. That puts your anchor in 140'+. In smmr it gets crowded with ppl who have no idea what there doing. Because of the amount of rode required, ppl dnt understand how much room is needed between boats. At slack tide the boats collide with the owners at the bar. Also ppl set there gear over urs. I almost lost my bt twice this last summer because of that. Frnds as well. Ive spent two summers there and only anchor there because i work where i can watch my bt. Thats y i still have her. Its a very risky place to anchor when its crowded if u cant keep your eye on your boat. Its also very uncomfortable much of the time. Many wakes and current puts you in the trough most nights.it can be very calm but changes quickly. Also theres alot of boats, old moorings, anchors and chain on the bottom to foul your gear on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook