SailNet Community - View Single Post - Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012

seabrookedan is on a distinguished road
Thats what my concern is. Jib against shrouds.have since bought"storm tactics" by lin and larry pardey. Highly reco it.2old school true salts who scull in and out of harbor. Answrref all my question. Ive only hove to on a bt i workd on with jib against shrouds. Dnt lk that idea. In this dvd from w marine the heave to with reefed main or trisail only. I tht jib had to be backed. Not on most sloops though i learned. Also when things get worse they deploy sea anchor in addition to main. They briddle it off the bow and about a 3rd aft from bow. It holds you at about a 45 to the seas. This creates a slick which keeps the seas from bteaking on u. They suggest that 2 deploy of the bow only can cause rudder damage if a big enough wave sends u backwards hard. Also youll swing back and forth a bit and wont have much of the protective slick.briddling it to take seas on qrtr bow will create a much wider safety zone(slick). I really suggest this dvd. A free overview is online. Not full movie. I will practice their technique. Thnx for the replies!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook