SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Sadly, Sam won't be overtaking anyone in the near future. She broke her mast and is out of the race

//Mr W
Yes, there has been a catastrophic loss of boats, 2 for collision and two for breaking. That's bad and they did not even reach the equator

"It was quite difficult conditions because I had just gone through the cold front and I had a really cross sea and to start with not much wind and the wind was just starting to establish itself around 25-30 knots and I had the right sails up for those conditions and it had been pretty tricky and then, as I was expecting, we had some big rain squalls coming and the first rain squall came through and I had up to 40 knots, so I bore away and I was easing the sheets from inside the boat and easing the sheets and bearing away to calm it down. I was mentally preparing myself, as soon as the squalls had finished to go out and take the third reef for the night, because it was at nightfall when this was going on. And that is the way I had been sailing for the whole race, is quite conservatively and taking a reef, especially at night when you canít see the squalls coming, so I was getting ready to my foulweather gear on and thatís when the squall was just finishing and the wind was dropping and the boat jumped off the top of the top of a wave and thatís when I had the impact and then the boat came upright and suddenly there is no more wind in your rigging.

The hard thing is that when the mast falls down, it falls to leeward so the boat is being pushed on top of the mast so I could hear the mast rubbing against the hull and down the whole side of the hull and under the boat, so I knew that it could damage the hull if I was unlucky, so the main thing was to close all the watertight bulkheads in case it did get pierced so I put my survival suit on because it is the best way to go out and check everything on deck and in the time that this happened and the boat turned around, as I expected it would, so that the mast was to windward of the boat and acting more like a sea anchor but the worst thing was the really big waves and breaking wave and they were pushing the mast and boom into the deck and into the hull still and everything was moving a lot, like around 2m, and there was still a lot of wind in the mainsail attached to the boom, so every time there was a big gust the boom was lifting off the deck and into the water. To start with I didnít want to go outside in case the boom got caught by the wind or in case there was a big jump, so I wanted to wait to see how the whole situation as going to establish itself before I took any chances to go on deck."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook