SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why Are Boats In Europe Cheaper?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Why Are Boats In Europe Cheaper?

Things I never knew... Thank you!

I had done searches for boats on other websites but it seemed the ones that interested me were also on Yachtworld. So I stopped looking elsewhere.

Paolo, the sites you suggested are interesting. I've done some perusing there already. It certainly would be cool to buy a boat overseas, spend some time getting to know her, then sail her back here. Maybe not practical, but definitely something we'd love to be able to do. Problem is, I can't see us leaving there without taking in all the sights, and that could take years!

When it comes to duty, I've only heard, "It's not that much." The last time was from a salesman at the Annapolis show. So, how much is "not that much"?

I'm trying to put together a somewhat realistic cost to the "out the door" price on a used sailboat. Whatever I am able to set aside, I'll keep at least 25% in hand for necessary work to get the boat where I need it to be. But it would be nice to have a reasonable expectation of everything that one pays, besides the cost of the boat, when purchasing a used boat.

The liveaboard dream has been cancelled. It just won't work for us. So we've decided to sell the big house and buy a small house and a small boat. It's really the more practical thing to do, all things being considered.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook