SailNet Community - View Single Post - StartLine Sailing Racing Android App
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: StartLine Sailing Racing Android App

Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post
With StartLine you don't need to do the tack ratio thing. You have a timer that tells you how long it will take you to get back to the line. No matter where you start from, what traffic you get caught up in, what direction you are going, you can tell when to turn and head back to the line. For example, if you know it takes you 20 seconds to turn your boat and accelerate, just head away from the line until the "time to burn" readout reads 20 seconds, tack, and go for it.

This is the beauty of using the target boat speed rather than actual boat speed and direction that most apps use. If you use actual boat speed and direction and are heading away from the line, these other apps will tell you that it will take forever to get to the line as you can't get there on the course you are on. With StartLine, you enter your target boat speed either manually or automatically and then all times are based on the speed you will be traveling when you head back to the line.

I have tried the tack back technique and other boats always mess it up. That was one of many things I tried before writing StartLine.

Allen
With all due respect Allen, I suspect you haven't raced much. One rarely sails at "target" boat speeds despite one's best efforts. The tacking ratio described above uses the conditions and speeds on the water in the event.
N'any case, it was merely a suggestion.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook