SailNet Community - View Single Post - StartLine Sailing Racing Android App
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: StartLine Sailing Racing Android App

Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post
Perhaps I should not have called it target boat speed as that does have another meaning. What you do is sail toward the line in the pre-start and measure your speed and use that as your target. You are therefore sailing at your target speed. In other words, I am following your suggestion of using the conditions and speeds on the water in the event as the target. Just to be clear, you sail toward the line just as you plan on doing in the race. When you are up to speed you click a button that says "use this as your target" and it is entered. You can adjust it up or down if need be.

Last year we did 17 races. We got two thirds, one second, and the rest first.
Ah.. Now that makes perfect sense. Good for you. And good/enviable racing record too. Save for beer can races these daze--where starts count none the less--we don't do it much any more. I got sick of gear busters and sometime unreliable volunteer crew at the last moment that left others in the lurch and overworked. And the food/beer costs...whew! Its astonishing how much 6-7 overworked guys can eat in two daze!

Good luck with your App!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook