SailNet Community - View Single Post - StartLine Sailing Racing Android App
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: StartLine Sailing Racing Android App

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
This seems to to be a great app to get a perfect start every time assuming that there are no other boats on the starting line at the same time as you. don't see how this is going to help you to get the pin position in a fleet of guys that know how to start and don't really play fair. timing the start is only a small fraction of the skills needed to get a good start. does the APP come with nerves of steel or a big bag of money so you don't have to worry about sticking you boat in there with the big guys that do have big bags of money.
If you can't sail and get a good start then either go practice or sit home on you Android and pretend to race on a video game.
It is called Sailboat racing not Android Racing.
when I go sailing I leave the computers at home.
Actually, in racing out of the Richmond Yacht Club in San Francisco (we've been members since the 1978) and out of Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in soCal (we were members for 20+years) and more recently here in southwest Florida, I found that being able to hit a starting line at speed most often preferable to screwing around in a gaggle of boats vying, often aggressively and noisily, to make the favored end of the line. And folks often did ask me how we managed to start so well so often despite the fact that we weren't the greatest of racers (of course, I kept my watch in my pocket!). But different ships, different long splices, and if Allene's App helps some, good for them and for him/her, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook