SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voltage tester idea
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Voltage tester idea

Linear as in the company, LT. Power source was easy, a 12 volt alarm "fob" battery is readily available and much more compact than the next simple choice, which would have been a couple of 9v batteries in series. But that would have filled a standard size Altoids tin and given me a decade of battery power, didn't want to go there.

Maybe I should sell my spares as kits? (VBG)

A few years ago all the players were saying cars would move to 48VDC in order to power the electrical power steering, electrical AC, all sorts of things. Now, they're saying gee, it would cost too much to use 48VDC rated switches and wiring. Funny thing, huh?

I'd prefer "dumb" switches and breakers. No worries about noise pulses, rfi, odd things the microelectronics can do. Heck, I've "repaired" a car fuse with a chewing gum wrapper in order to get home. Can't do that with microelectronics.

"Also there is an opportunity to build a cross between the bluesea relay and the echo charger for" You'd probably be reinventing a "Hellroarer" a solid state (high power FET I think) version of the Yandina/West isolator, which is the grandpappy of the Echocharger and all that stuff.

I'm still waiting for "one ring to rule them all", i.e. a modular charge controller that would be able to integrate alternator, solar, wind, and run them all efficiently together without making blind assumptions. I had some ideas on how to do it, isolate and integrate, but it all comes back to "Gee, this is gonna cost" no matter how small and cheap they can sell the brains for it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook