SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailcare running up the tab?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailcare running up the tab?

FWIW, I called Sailcare today and told them to go ahead and do all the work they recommended. While $88 is a lot of money to me, it's better to make sure the logo/numbers are permanently attached before doing the cleaning. It just wasn't worth the potential aggravation of risking completely losing or tearing them. This is a one-time cost that will eliminate any need to reattach them now or in the future, so my feeling was just do it.

The other "extras" that were quoted were some localized mending and resetting the bolt rope, which had shrunken from moisture exposure. This latter item will actually improve sail shape somewhat, though it obviously does not undo the stretching of the fabric. However, the sail is in good overall shape and worth putting some money into to prolong its life.

With my refurbished mainsail and the new headsail that I bought from Doyle 2 years ago (which just "broke in" to a nice foil shape this year), I should be good to go for the next several years, by which time I may be looking for another boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook