SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34

I would hope you could have a yard replace the chain plates for under $15k. I wonder if it is just the shroud chain plates or if the fore and aft stay chain plates need replacing as well?

Sounds to me as though Sabre did the chain plates on that 34' in the same way as Tartan did them on my 27' back in 1967. The chain plates are glassed into knee walls, often with a wood core. The problem with this arrangement is that eventually water gets into the knee wall. Even stainless steel will corrode when wet when it is not in contact with air. The solution that other T27 owners have come up with is to move the knee wall just enough so that the chain plates can be mounted outside the knee wall. This way the chain plates can be in contact with air and can be inspected.

I'd say do it yourself and save a bundle of money except that it can be a very awkward, messy and tedious job to do - depending on the interior set up. It should not cost that much for new chain plates by themselves, nor should the epoxy resin/cloth but the labor involved is another story.

This job is still on my 'honey do' list.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook