SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Damn, these men and women are special, a different breed.

Besides the skills and physical condition, just wonder how much money needed to get on these type of sailing adventure ???
Not so much and less then some other top championships. Don't forget that on other top racing classes, I mean professional sailing, you have to pay a crew of eight to eleven the all season while here the sponsor as only to pay to one guy.

Regarding the other circumnavigation top race, the VOR, this one is a cheep one. That's why you have so many more boats here.

"Sam Davies is safe but out of the race after dismasting on Thursday night. She has switched on her engine and is heading to Madeira, 100 miles away, at about five knots. The weather is being kinder to her and she was expected arrive on Saturday morning. ...

She was near the centre of a depression with a 35 knots of wind and treacherous cross seas and was preparing to put a third reef in the mainsail, when she heard and felt the mast go.

"It was quite difficult conditions because I had just gone through the cold front and I had a really cross sea,” Davies said. “I was getting ready to my foul weather gear on and that’s when the squall was just finishing and the wind was dropping and the boat jumped off the top of the top of a wave and that’s when I had the impact.

Davies, who finished fourth in the last Vendée Globe, waited until the wind had eased before cutting away the mast and rigging and with them any chance of finishing her second Vendée Globe.

Sam Davies après son démâtage/ after her... por VendeeGlobeTV

"Soon after Davies abandoned, Louis Burton, the 27-year-old Parisian, announced that he had abandoned and headed to La Coruña. He was limping back to Les Sables d’Olonne stuck on a starboard tack after colliding with a fishing boat on Wednesday at 0300hrs (French time). But the damage to the port shroud of his boat, Bureau Vallée, and consequent instability of his mast, meant that his passage through the Bay of Biscay with the current conditions would have been nearly impossible – especially with the deadline of needing to re-start the race by Tuesday November 20.

Javier Sansó reports that he has been sailing for 32 hours without his mainsail. He was approaching the Canary Islands yesterday afternoon, where he will shelter in calmer conditions while he climbs up his 100ft mast to recover the main halyard. It is a hazardous operation even with a crew and even in calmer waters - imagine climbing a hundred foot ladder balanced on a rocking horse (don’t try this at home).

“Today has been pretty entertaining preparing all the material to go up the mast tomorrow in the shelter of the Canary Islands,” Sansó, the only Spaniard in the race, said. “I just need some sheltered water without waves for a few hours and I think I'll be back again 100%. I've been able to sleep a full 2 hours - a real luxury!“

Sansó will attempt to climb his 100ft mast in order to assess the damage and recover the main halyard, so that he can hoist his mainsail again."

Jesus these guys are having bad luck, really bad luck

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook