SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34

When we were at the show, we were on the Sabre 456 and the salesman said the chainplates were embedded so that any water seeping in from above won't bleed through and ruin the interior woodwork. He pointed to where they were and I saw no way to visually inspect them. I imagined them sitting in moisture and crevice corrosion attacking them. I'm thinking the 34 may have the same kind of setup.

When I read the price had been reduced $13K because the chainplates needed replacing, I guessed it was because they were embedded and most, if not all of them, needed replacing.

WingNWing suggested mounting them on the exterior. Looking at the hull, I don't see this being a problem aesthetically, I just don't know the integrity of the hull where they would need to be bolted in.

If I had the boat sitting in my back yard, I could tinker with it over the winter and maybe even do it myself but I'd have to KNOW that what I'm doing is being done right and that one day the rig wasn't going to come crashing down because I was too cheap or too uneducated to make sure it's done right.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook