SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

Holey ducks bum! There's more equipment in that bag than my whole boat!

I bet Cruising World is gunna start selling that thing for thousands!

All the old salts are going to hammer me, but I don't rate getting in the life raft as a survival option. It's rank last in my mind and I'd prefer to scoop floating junk off the surface than have my emergency COmunications kit stuffed into my bag.
I am with killarney_sailor in that I want the EPIRB at the nav station, my handheld in the cockpit in its spot, HF receiver where I can use it each day, etc.

What I do have in my grab bag is all the out of date and wrong canned food I've bought.... Ummm In France I bought some tins of meat but when I got home and translated the label... . Anyway I don't want to have to eat the stuff.
Bottled water, can openers etc, flares. That's about all. Oh, the stupid little mirror.

My first aid kit is very close, but not in it. My wetsuit is also close. That I want on before anything, even in the tropics.

So my grab bag is Not able to be grabbed in a mad rush... But few emergencies are that much of a mad rush. And as I said I will not rush into a liferaft.

To fill my grab bag would take only one minute. If I don't have that time then the situation would probably be fatal anyway.

If I threw the Cruising World grab bag into the liferaft it would sink it.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 11-16-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook