SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Julie,

If this is an S-34 MkI these chain plates could not be easier... Don't let anyone BS you... Straight bar stock bolted to bulkheads... Undo the nuts/bolts & pull free. Take the old ones to a machine shop and have them duplicated..
Yes, it looks like it's the Mk1. The one we were looking at was built in 1978.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Any links on the Sabre 34'? It is a boat maker with a good rep. Sabre also made a few different 'flavors' of the 34' sailboat. Which one is this one? SABRE 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
There is a fin keel model, center board model, winged keel model and one other.
Owning a boat is a bit masochistic. Around here you would paying $1K+ for winter and $2K+ for a slip every year. The sayings about B.O.A.T. meaning bring out another thousand and ripping up $100 bills in a cold shower are largely true.
The cheapest way to get sailing is on OPB's (other people's boats). You have plenty of experience from what I've read and I bet there are some racers who would like competent crew, if you tolerate racing.
If you don't swing that way (racing sailboats) then your only other choice is to buy your own and realize that 'she' owns you and budget accordingly.
If you like to play pirate you should meet WingNWing from Annapolis. I understand that she dresses up like a pirate every chance she gets!
Pond in the back yard and rum; not so childlike.
The boat you linked to looks like the one. The keel on "ours" is a fin and looks to be about 5.5'. That matches with the one on SailboatData.

This is looking more and more interesting. Could it be possible the hull needs rework as part of the chainplate replacement?

We spent the evening with "The Wings" in the cockpit of their boat while in Annapolis for the show. We had a great time! At the end of the evening I was asking, "But why is the RUM gone?"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook