SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: The Complete Overboard Bag - Rate It

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Other than the questionable sartorial deficit of wearing a fanny pack... if it ain't waterproof, you're just carrying a whole bunch of now useless dead weight once you step up into the liferaft and get drenched along the way.
The fanny pack is the least of my worry because it is very small. A quart of H2O will overfill the bag easily. During the safety at sea training, I have learned that wearing fouled weather gear in the water can be fatal. There is no way one can get to the life raft without using a tether. In the swimming pool, I can get myself out of the pool without others help, but I am not sure I can do so by myself in the stormy sea. Ditching the clothing is not easy, ditching the fanny is a 5 sec one hand operation.

After the training, I totally rethink my approach when it comes to ditching the boat. As for now, I would rather wear a wetsuit in a stormy weather with a manual activated life vest. I thought about sailing and survival at sea almost everyday. Hopefully I don't need to use it at all.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook