SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caution: AIS Apps
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Caution: AIS Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
...Also look at the words in my post: vessels going offshore for more than a day sail.

Boats in a river will need to get out of the way of large ships anyway as the ship will be constrained and/or in a shipping channel...And remember if the sailboat is the stand on vessel it should stand on. It makes it vastly easier for a ship to maneuver around a sail boat when he knows its course and speed, very much so when the boat is pointing one way but leeway or current is taking him the other way...
OK, another one of these "you must have missed reading my words" comments. Yes, I saw the words in your post. Don't forget the part where you said AIS receivers "aren't worth a pinch of poop" part. I saw those words too, and I still think that they are overly negative.

As for an encounter between a sailboat and a massive freighter or cargo ship, the sailboat is almost never the stand-on vessel. For this reason I don't expect those guys to steer around me, especially since they are constrained by a narrow channel in my area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook