Thread: Rigging
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
My first recommendation would be to remove the rigging, package it up and drive/ship it to SNer Knothead, have them remade properly and then reinstall them yourself.

My second would be to do the same with any other reputable local rigger. You don't need to pay a pro $100/hr to remove cotter pins and unscrew turnbuckles. Even removing the mast can be DIY except for the hoist/crane but that depends on your comfort level and the facilities at hand. If you do tackle this yourself be sure to remember any internal wiring connections (often hidden).

Another recommendation I've heard is to have the rigging fabricated with swaged upper terminals, and do the lower deck level terminals with norseman or stayloc style... I've never used them but didn't think special tools were required?
Absolutely correct. Stay the mast with halyards and lifts. Moreover, you needn't do all the wire at one time in case you don't have adequate halyards and lifts to remove all the shrouds and still have a halyard to reach the hounds.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook