SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Interesting editorial on gCaptain. I guess they take a general position that is not very agreeable to amateurs but then perhaps it is good to remember the time this thread took to align with the views they had from the beginning about Bounty's Captain actions in what regard the best strategies to deal with an Hurricane or the need to wait for an investigation to know if the Captain was to blame or not.

BY ROB ALMEIDA ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012 (Rob Almeida is partner and CMO of Unofficial Networks and an editor of gCaptain.com. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1999 with a B.S in Naval Architecture and spent 6.5 years on active duty as a Surface Warfare Officer.)

"The Disconnect Between Professional Mariners and Recreational Boaters over the Bounty Tragedy.

Ever since the Bounty sank off Cape Hatteras last week a fiery online debate has literally raged.

It’s a tragic event that pretty much everyone who has ever spent any time at all on the ocean has an opinion on. HMS Bounty’s Facebook page, gCaptain’s Facebook page, the Woodenboat Forum, the Trawler Forum, and of course gCaptain have been a few of the focal points for this unfolding story. None have pulled punches, although a few days ago the Bounty’s Facebook page moderators removed the ability for people to comment on their page due to an influx of critical comments.

Nowhere on the internet however, has more criticism been raised of this event than the gCaptain Forum. With over 20,000 members from around the world, this forum has essentially grown to become the social media platform for the professional maritime industry. And when it comes to seamanship, you better believe they have an opinion and are unafraid to share it with you.

Steamer, a gCaptain Forum Member, brought up an interesting comment today about the disconnect between the professional community and the recreational community that I thought deserved particular highlight. Here’s what he posted:....

If nothing else this whole Bounty affair is showing us that there really is a gulf between the recreational (including the TSC) hobbyist and the professional mariner. These guys are really really scary, a lot scarier than I ever believed they were. I think this storm has opened a few eyes but unfortunately it seems to have driven some of the survivors into a deeper defensive position, from fear or just embarrassment I don’t know.”

http://gcaptain.com/author/rob/

Last edited by PCP; 11-17-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook