SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contest/Game - Identify this picture
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Contest/Game - Identify this picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Well, I had the "sex" part right.....
There are several sexes in England – Err, never mind.

I was just about to add some more clues. Congratulations!

Maldon, on the tidal estuary of the Blackwater was home to several boat yards, best known of which was Cook’s Yard (the black building you can just see in front of the church in the previous picture) who’s primary business was to build and maintain Thames Sailing Barges. It finally closed when the last shipwright retired in 1992 and is now home to a charter company that charters Thames Barges for pleasure trips. The annual barge match race series, sailed around the East and South coast of England is the second oldest sailing race (after the Americas Cup) and is still a sight to behold.

My folks used to run a pub, opposite to a working quay about 25 miles away and I had the pleasure to meet the last few men who sailed the barges commercially. The optimum crew was “two men and a boy” but at least one old skipper used to sail singlehanded – I smile when I read “what’s the largest boat I can sail single handed”?

The American connection is that Lawrence Washington, an ancestor of George Washington is buried at All Saints Church and the Washington coat of arms is displayed in the church.

The ancient battle was the battle of Maldon in 991 when the Vikings defeated the Saxons but were persuaded not to sack the town by being paid not to do so.

Maldon is also the home of the annual Maldon Mud Race. It used to held in December or January but has now been moved to the summer for “safety reasons”. (You might as well have the clue anyway).

But Maldon's biggest claim to fame is that it is the first place that I raised a sail.

Last edited by Geoff54; 11-17-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook