SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
So they are lumping the Tall Ship Community into the recreational boating community and drawing a distinction from professional mariners.

However, I'm not entirely clear how they are stereotyping the two camps.
I agree that they are drawing steorotypes and as all sterotypes they are unfair to many.

I guess their main distinction in what regards professional mariners has to so how risks are viewed.

Regarding recreational boating I would say that even to me some things that are looked as normal to our community or some feats that are looked as great seamanship look to me just foolish things. I give you some example:

Guys that cross oceans and even circumnavigate with small children aboard or guys that cross oceans, go offshore in small old boats, many times knowing very little about sailing or sail for pleasure at high latitudes. Most of these guys are not looked by the sailing pleasure community as risky guys that not only risk their lives as the lives of their crews and the ones that are going to save them, but as guys that are doing the real thing, living the dream.

I am quite sure they are looked by the professional mariners as lunatics that should be prevented to put their feet on a boat.

Some examples:

Not always those dreams have an happy end but what makes the news is when they survive, not when they die.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook