SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Minnie,

I am not of the opinion that the Captain should not take full blame for HIS actions of sailing into the hurricane so I cant come up with an alternative scenarios. I will restate my belief for the 50th time HE IS REPSONSIBLE FOR HIS ACTIONS FULLY .

Somehow when I, and others, have asked that we dont not rush to judjement on all of the factors which led to the sinking a few have construed that meant that we didnt hold the Captain responsible. I can only speak for myself and I do hold him responsible. Not sure why that gets lumped into defending him.

I do think there are other individuals and other factors which also contributed to this sinking and if ignored will prevent this incident from becoming a TRUE learning experience and the full impartial investigation of the sinking will lead to other contributory factors. This in turn may lead to other regulations or procedures to improve the odds of this not reoccuring. I beleive that is the purpose.

Continued focusing on the captain and bashing him ( a point to which there is no dissagreement) has become just a restatement of the same information and IMHO is beating a dead horse.

What is the lesson we learn from this tradgedy from those of you beleive that this Captain is the ONLY reason for the sinking.

Can any of you propose here concrete specific remedies and corrections here which will prevent a Captain from sailing his ship into a hurricane again?

If we dont LEARN from this experience it will for sure be repeated again. It is one thing to continually criticise things....anyone can do that. I have huge respect for anyone identify an issue and then who can propose actual remedies which will prevent this from reoccuring, which is the purpose of LEARNING.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook