SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would have thought the professional would consider the recreational community to be..... less professional. If less professional translates to high risk taking, I'm still confused by the fact that almost the entire recreational community is vilifying the Bounty for taking this risk.

Hard to follow.
If you go to the beginning of this thread you would find many that thought that the Captain attitude was acceptable because a ship is safer at sea than in a port or because the captain was an experienced sailor that had sailed in worst weather, because the ship was able to stand to the conditions and so on, or that an investigation was needed to see if the Captain was to blame or not.

It took a long time and I would say many opinions of professional tall ship captains and professional mariners to reach a consensus that the Captain was irresponsible in sailing out if Port and face an Hurricane, not going away from it but sailing to its pass.

The same happened in other internet boating forums and on the Bounty facebook page were not only the Bounty members but many other posted nonsense about an heroic captain that was not to blame.

Professional mariners, from Tall ship Captains or expressed on gCaptain forum were very clear from the beginning seeing the Bounty's Captain decision as an irresponsible one. Even their views posted on this forum were initially subjected to harsh criticism.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-17-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook